Well, this is the last week of the year, and of course the last night of the year as well here in Portland, so happy new year! It’s kind of hard to believe I’ve been doing this for a full year, to be honest. It simultaneously feels like I’ve been doing it forever and only just started. I have a wrap-up planned for tomorrow, but for tonight it’s just a normal update.
I wrapped up the Margot PJ pants! They are quite a bit shorter than I was expecting, because I failed to consider hemming when I shortened the pattern (oops), but they are about where I’d wanted them to be – a couple inches above the ankle, where I’ll never trip over them even if the tie comes loose and they start getting a bit low. I probably could have shortened it by an inch instead of three and it would have been ankle length, but I’m not at all unhappy with the length as they are. I should have added a full seat adjustment (I just need to give up and do that by default), and the front crotch area fits a little weirdly (maybe for the same reason) but there is enough ease that they’re still plenty comfy and make for great pajama pants. Yay for old flannel sheets!
Mending-wise, I made it through most but not all of what I wanted to. I darned this hole in the very first pair of socks I ever made:
It spanned enough rows that I actually decided to knit a patch while darning to cover it. It was kind of an awkward affair, especially since it was right at the point where the heel was decreasing, but it turned out all right.
I don’t believe I mentioned this sweater before, but I found it at the Bins months ago, and I decided that since it needed mending it was a justifiable purchase for this year:
It’s 100% wool, and it is a little bit felted (but still stretchy) – it looks like it was originally a mock honeycomb pattern like the one I used on these socks (but purled on the right side), but I am a very inexperienced darner and opted to just darn it in stockinette. It had three moth holes that needed repairing. I used a Paton’s 100% wool yarn, and it’s a decent match considering I forgot to bring the sweater with me to the store when I went to buy darning yarn. It’s a bit heavier weight, so the darned spots are a little stiffer, and it’s a touch darker. It’s more noticeable from the inside than the outside, I feel, and anyway I’m not that concerned if it’s not a perfect match. I’m not quite bold enough to do perfectly visible mending, but semi-visible mending doesn’t bother me.
I don’t actually have any other wool sweaters, so this was a great find – I’ve already worn it out a few times and it’s nice and warm in a way my other sweaters aren’t quite. (I imagine the partial felting helps with that, too.)
The last thing I managed to get mended is a quilt my late great grandmother made for me when I was a teenager (so… probably twenty years ago now). The edges have been pulling out of the binding and fraying for awhile. I just darned over the smaller spots, but this was one of the larger holes that I didn’t think just reinforcement was going to help:
So instead I took a scrap of flannel leftover from the PJs and patched it:
I’m kind of excited about the idea of it just getting patched and re-patched over the years, putting my own care into maintaining something that my great grandmother put her care into making for me. I’ll have my own boro quilt by the time I die, haha. I’ve been hesitant to use this quilt much since I don’t want to wash it much while there are holes, so it will be nice to put it back on the bed while it’s still winter.
The major mending I wanted to get done that did not is another item my great-grandmother made, a nightgown. It’s my favorite, because it’s knee-length rather than ankle-length (I hate it when nightgowns get twisted around my legs as I’m sleeping), and though it’s flannel, it’s lightweight enough that I can wear it in summer, too. It’s definitely going to be a project – the cuffs and neckline are all worn completely ragged, there’s a giant hole in the armpit, and there are a lot of spots that are just nearly worn through and need to be reinforced. It’s probably a week’s project on its own. I might also attempt to make a pattern from it before I fix it up, because unlike the quilt, the nightgown is unlikely to survive my lifetime no matter how much repair I do (although we’ll see), and I’d like to make another like it before this one falls to pieces.