I suppose the title is a bit of a misnomer, as I haven’t actually finished lining the skirt. I did, however get it basted in around the top. But first I got to deal with all the seam finishes I’d been neglecting and forgotten about.
I was going to press the side seams open and finish separately as recommended in the instructions, and then top stitch over each side to keep the large seam allowances down (I opted not to trim them ahead of time to help with potential future alterations), but then realized I’d be topstitching over the pocket openings, and I really didn’t want to do that. I caved and did mock flat fell seams on the side seams as well, and then topstitched like I did between the center front and side front panels, to give it a nice line. There’s just something magical about that denim topstitch color thread on denim – it looks way more professional than it has any right to. Those side seams will be a pain to take out if I need to make alterations, but they lay much more nicely right now.
Then I finished off the side seams for the lining, which I’d been waiting on until I fit the shell. I then proceeded to finish the seams off and stitch over the basting I’d initially done without making any adjustments based on the final fit. When I went to pin the lining to the shell, the lining was a good inch too short at least. The left back lining was supposed to be a tiny bit short to help pull in the lapped zipper, but there was just no way this was going to work. So I took out the top of the side seams and re-pinned them so that the lining was the right length to match the shell, and then it went together much better.
I’m extremely ready to be done with this skirt at this point – it’s been an absolute bear, and it’s pretty much all my own alterations that have done it. None of the notches have matched up, the lengths haven’t even matched up, I’m still not sure the lining isn’t going to be weird and lumpy when it’s fully attached or what I’m going to do about it if it is. I’m eyeing new patterns longingly, and between work being hectic and stressful and my own lack of motivation, the project really just isn’t going fast enough. I refuse to move to another project before this one is finished, because if I do that I know I’ll never finish it. So I’ll keep baby-stepping my way through it.
I do have to spend some time on mending this coming week, though! I offered to raise the hem on one of my sister’s dresses, and although I’ve had it for weeks now and am about halfway through picking the seam on the flounce so I can re-attach it later, she said she might like to wear it to a function at the end of the month, so I need to, like, actually finish altering it in the near future. Probably this week.
Goals for next week:
- Attach the lining to the zipper
- Finish picking the seam on the sister’s dress, and at least get it trimmed to the right length and the flounce pinned in place.