Hey. Check out this seam. (Upper edge.)
That seam was hella annoying! That seam took about 30% of my sewing time this week! So basically that is the neckline on the back, and then the sides are the shoulders. But the way the instructions want you to sew it is to sew the shoulders and neck in one piece, pivoting at the notch in the neck. What they don’t tell you is that this thing is never gonna lay flat for you. Or at least it sure didn’t for me, and I actually did a reasonable job getting these pieces cut out without wobbly or uneven lines this time. After accidentally catching more of the back than I’d wanted in the seam, I decided to do it in three parts and then sort of patchwork stitch over where the notch is to connect the two. It’s a double-stitched seam, too, so it got that reinforcement.
Lots of seam ripping. So much fun.
The other major parts I got done were the bottom hem and the narrow hem along the front and neck. I didn’t realize that when the pattern says “baste” they really mean “hand baste” until I’d already machine-basted a few things and ran into instructions to “machine baste”. Oops. I meant to take a picture of the one seam I did hand-baste, but alas I did not.
You know what’s funny? Instructions to topstitch over the basting stitches. Like I have an even enough hand baste for that, hah!
Here’s the narrow hem for the front. I’m actually pretty happy with it. I stitched a 1/4″ guide seam to help with pressing the narrow hem, and it gathered a bit more than I wanted, but it eased out nicely while I was stitching.
Despite hand-basting and easing fullness in the lower hem, it’s still rumpling strangely. I should have finished the seam before doing the narrow hem on the front, but I’m really bad about thinking about seam finishing before I’m done with a project. I’m thinking about doing a Hong Kong finish on the inside to make it look nice and tidy and also reinforce those seams yet again.
All that’s left is hemming and setting the sleeves, finishing all the seams, and then adding the button and figuring out how to make a loop to hook the button with out of this material.
Knitting went really well this week due to a surplus of waiting time ramping up for my new job. Step one was wrapping the yarn via nostepinne into a yarn cake:
I used Judy Becker’s magic cast on for my first experience with toe-up socks. It was amazingly easy, and I am totally going to use it going forward. Then I worked a wedge toe. The only really annoying thing I’ve found about the toe-up socks so far is that the toe wants to roll outward because it’s stockinette. I hadn’t ever really thought about how convenient the initial ribbing on the cuff of top-down socks is to keep the knitting from rolling.
Anyway, at the end of the toe, I went “oh crap, what pattern do I want for the sock body?” See, if I’d thought about this ahead of time, I could have adjusted my cast-on stitches accordingly, but no.
I saw the dandelion stitch and figured that would be perfect, and it looks super easy in the video, but after spending 20 minutes and a lot of cursing getting two of the flowers done, I decided that was not going to work. Of course, I’d already done some finagling to get the right stitches in the right places to make the pattern work for the top of the foot, and done the three setup rows, so I wanted to find something that would at least take the stitch count into consideration.
Enter the mock honeycomb. It’s a multiple of 4 + 1, which worked great with the dandelion’s multiple of 8 + 1, and it caused substantially less swearing.
Also, apparently this yarn is self-striping. I had no idea, haha.
I’m a little freaked out about doing the gusset, which is dumb because it’s knitting and I just need to do some increases. I don’t know why I’m freaked out about it. It’s new and scary, I guess. Just need to finish it for this first pair and then I’m sure there won’t be a problem.
Goals for next week:
- Finish the cardigan!
- Get sock foot done to start of gusset