I’m light on pics today because realistically pattern alterations are not super exciting. I did successfully get the pattern traced off and then met with my mom today to do lunch and fitting, which went reasonably well. I did look up an FBA for knits, but it looked like standard for non-fitted knits is just to add width and height, so that’s what I decided to do.
After pinning the front, it was clear I was going to need more length, so I went ahead and spliced in about three and a half inches while it was still pinned to her, which got it down to the right length so that the marked waistline was at her natural waist. The back length was fine without any tweaks, so I’m not sure how I’m going to fit the front to the back at the side seams. On the drive home I also realized that I had forgotten to tweak the pattern width-wise, and I know I do need to increase that a little bit as well. So I might be able to do a thing where I keep the side seam at its usual length, and then increase the length out to where I add the width, and keep the length long through the rest of the front? I’ll have to play around a bit with the pattern to see what I can do before I cut the fabric out.
One more adjustment that I opted not to do on the fly is the armscythe – it definitely seemed like the armscythe on this pattern was a bit short, just in the front. So I might pull some of the added length from the stomach into the upper chest area to accommodate that, and cut back on the amount added in the waist to help with the difference in the side seam.
Even after I make my adjustments, I’ll probably leave an inch seam allowance in the side seams for the basted fitting just to give us a little more leeway. I’m also super glad I am using a knit fabric right now, and that the pattern is only four pieces, haha.
Knitting went super fast this week, which is amazing considering I didn’t bring my two-at-a-time socks on my commute for fear of it tangling even worse than normal. “Maybe start down the heel flap” turned into “Finish the heel flap, turn the heel, and pick up the gusset stitches”. I think part of it is this yarn – just looking at it makes me want to knit. And the two at a time structure is fascinating and feels like it goes faster even though logically I know it can’t be.
I was a little concerned with how I was going to do the heel turn doing two at a time socks, but the answer is that you just turn the heel on one sock and then on the other socks. I turned the heel, picked up the gusset stitches along the left side of the heel flap, and then moved onto the other sock. When I finished the same on the second sock and knit through the top of the sock, I picked up the other half of the gusset stitches and put them on the heel side of the needle just like usual. I had less cord left on the needle than usual because of the other sock, but it all worked out fine here.
I will say, though, that I was feeling much better about my tension in that it seemed like my purl stitches were much closer to my knit stitches, up until I turned the stupid heel.
Look at how big those stitches are! You can see my hand through them. These are size 000 needles, this is ridiculous. And it’s the heel of the sock, so I’d really like it to be very dense and hard-wearing. I did get some nylon thread to knit into my socks awhile back, but I keep forgetting to use it. Seems like that is a thing to stop forgetting.
I am still loving the two-at-a-time sock thing, and I’m not sure I’ll go back. I have some larger skeins of sock yarn and I’ve always wanted to make knee socks, but I’ve been afraid I’ll run out of yarn on the second sock and be stuck. If I can learn to do toe-up socks, I’ll be able to just keep going until I run out, and even if they aren’t tall enough they’ll at least be the same height. That might be my next pair.
Goals for next week:
- Finish pattern adjustments
- Figure out how to true up the side seams
- Cut out material
- Knit the foot down to where the toe decreases start